1. Agreement for distribution
The Microbial Culture Collection at the National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES-Collection) will distribute strains to users who agree to the following conditions:
(1) The strains (including DNA replicates and derivatives from the strains) that are distributed from the NIES-Collection shall be available for education, research, tests, and other special purposes permitted by NIES, as well as for purposes in which public safety must be ensured. The strains are not intended to apply directly to humans. If the strains are toxic, the user hereby acknowledges and accepts the risks posed by toxic strains and shall use the strains in compliance with domestic and foreign laws, regulations, and guidelines. The user shall store and discard the strains appropriately. Even if “toxic” is not specified in the strain list, the user hereby acknowledges and accepts the potential risks of the strains and shall use the strains in compliance with domestic and foreign laws, regulations, and guidelines.
(2) The user shall be requested to submit the application form personally.
(3) The user shall not acquire any intellectual property rights by the purchase of the strain.
(4) The user shall provide written notice to the NIES when the purpose has changed considerably from the purpose that was stated at the time of submission.
(5) The user shall not distribute the strains, or their replicates and derivatives to any third party.
(6) The user shall use the NIES strain number (e.g., NIES-125) when he/she uses a NIES strain in a paper that is subsequently published, and shall send two copies of the reprint(s) or photocopies thereof to the NIES-Collection.
(7) When the use of the strain violates another person’s rights, the user shall bear responsibility for this, and shall deal with the matter on his/her own.
(8) The user shall acknowledge the possibility that the strain is deficient and harmful, and inadequate for the user’s aim. Thus, if the user suffers any loss by the strain, he/she shall bear responsibility for this and shall deal with the matter on his/her own.
(9) The user shall submit the Strain Receipt Form ( PDF / Word )within 1 month of the date of receipt of the strain. The user may request that the strain be sent again without charge if the strain does not show good growth during this warranty period. The NIES-Collection shall not bear any responsibility for mistakes by the user.
2. Ordering strains
2.1. Ordering culture strains
|1. Serch and order the strain(s)||PageTop|
|2. Check the view cart of your order||PageTop|
|2.1||Select [Your category] and [Affiliation category]|
|2.2||Confirm strain no., scientific name, remarks, etc.|
|2.3||Enter the object of the use (please clearly state your purpose of use, this is especially important for international orders to avoid quarantine stop of the parcel), and click continue button.|
|3. Enter your information to ‘Strain ordering form’||PageTop|
|4. Check the ‘Ordering form and agreement for distribution’||PageTop|
|4.1||Check ‘Your order’ and ‘Your registration information’|
|4.2||When you want to change ‘Your registration information’, click Correction of your information button.|
|4.3||Please read ‘Agreement for distribution.’ The NIES-Collection will distribute strains to users who agree to these conditions.|
|4.4||Click Submit ordering form button. Your order will be completed. Confirmation e-mail from the NIES-Collection will be sent to your registered e-mail address.|
|5. Print ‘Ordering form and agreement for distribution’ and send by air-mail two original doccuments properly signed||PageTop|
| Print two copies of the ‘Ordering form and agreement for distribution’ by clicking Print this
page button, sign and send by air-mail the two original documents
to the address below.
If you are a student / part-timer, the NIES-Collection requests a signature of your supervisor / employer.
Please note that we can ship the strain(s) only after we receive two original copies (with the user’s signature and date) of the “Ordering form and agreement for distribution”.
|Order by regular mail|
We will accept your order by regular mail (air-mail, FedEex…). Requests to the NIES-Collection for strains shall be made by completing the “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form”, and by sending two original copies via air-mail to the following address. After being signed by the administrator at the NIES, one copy of the “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form” will be sent back to the user. If the user is a student or a part-time employee, the documents should be named and signed by his/her supervisor or employer. Requests by e-mail and fax and online orders are available, but in any requests to the NIES-Collection for strains two original copies of the “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form” with the user’s signature (and supervisor’s/employer’s signature, if needed) and date are necessary. We will ship the strain only after reception of the two signed original copies of the “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form” sent by air-mail.
|Address :||Microbial Culture Collection,|
National Institute for Environmental Studies,
16-2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8506, JAPAN
| Tel： +81-29-850-2556
2.2. Receipt of the strain
3. Price and payment
|Universities, public institutions||Companies, commercial organizations|
| About 10 mL aliquot of
|6,300 JPY||10,500 JPY|
The sales tax (5%) is included to the indicated prices above.
Shipping fee will be charged in addition to the price of the strain. For your convenience and according to your area, check the table for an estimation of the approximate shipping fee for one strain ordered. If you order corresponds to more than one tube, the shipping fee will change with the final weight.
Note that the exact shipping fee is quoted in the invoice as well as the strain fee.
Shipping fee for one strain (package weight around 300 g)
|Asia|| Oceania. North America.
Central America. The Middle East
|Europe||South America. Africa|
|858 JPY||1,143 JPY||1,429 JPY||1,619 JPY|
Shipping fee for one strain during hot season (package including refrigerant with a weight around 500 g)
|Asia|| Oceania. North America.
Central America. The Middle East
|Europe||South America. Africa|
|1,048 JPY||1,429 JPY||1,715 JPY||2,000 JPY|
Packages are usually sent by EMS. If your location is not under EMS delivery area, the only shipping way will be using FedEx or DHL services.
Please, send us your FedEx or DHL account identification number to prepare the shipping.
Note that the quickest delivery to USA, is by using FedEx. Upon your specific request we can send packages via FedEx; simply send us your FedEx account identification number.
ATTENTION: if your location is not included in the EMS delivery area and you cannot use FedEx or DHL, we may not be able to proceeding to your order. Please, contact us for confirmation.
The NIES-Collection has a special agreement for educational purpose, if you are under this case, please, contact the staff of the NIES-Collection .
3.2. For customers from the USA
The NIES-Microbial Culture Collection being a national institution of Japan does not fall under the requirement to fill the form W-8 (Certificate of Foreign status of beneficial owner for United States Tax Withholding). Please, make sure with your own administration that the payment procedure can be done without the form W-8.
In case of international order, the invoice with the payment details is included inside the package together with the strain.
Note that if your order is send in several parts, this invoice will be placed in the last parcel only.
Please, make sure to do the payment before the due date by bank transfer according to the invoice bank references. Bank transfer fee is under your charge.
We are sorry but we cannot accept the credit card payment.
4. Special notes regarding distribution
4.1. "Fragile species to transportation stresses"
You are going to order one or more culture strains which are "Fragile species to transportation stresses".
This mention means that cells can easily die during transportation.
The ordered cultures may or may not recover from the transportation stresses, regardless our care.
Before finalizing your order, consider this risk and decide if you still purchase the strain labeled as "Fragile species to transportation stresses". Kindly understand that you will have to pay for the order even if the ordered cultures do not survive to the transportation.
Do not hesitate to contact us to try to find the best compromise for your order of "fragile species".
Ordering "Fragile species to transportation stresses" means "no replacement" in case of failure, you will have to place a new order if you still wish to try a new chance.
4.2. "Fragile species to temperature changes"
Some strains are more sensitive to temperature changes than others, restriction during severe seasons might occur.
4.3. "Unstable" strains
Strains are sometimes not available if their growth is poor at that time, and are usually difficult to maintain permanently at the MCC-NIES.
4.4. "Cryopreserved" strains
Most of the cyanobacterial strains and some of the green and red algal strains
are preserved only in liquid nitrogen. These cryopreserved strains are indicated
in the Remarks column of the list of strains. Cryopreservation is necessary
for long-term preservation of these strains in culture collections, preventing
contamination during repetitive transfer and genetic changes by mutation (Day
& DeVille, 1995). Now, the NIES-Collection holds ca. 600 strains only in the
vapor phase of liquid nitrogen. Frozen cells of these cryopreserved strains
are thawed and inoculated into fresh medium just after the order is accepted.
As a result, it takes at least 1 month for overseas shipping of these strains.
= REFERENCE =
Day, J. G. & DeVille, M. M. 1995 Cryopreservation of algae (Chapter 9), In Day J.G. & McLellan M.R. (eds.), Methods in Molecular Biology Vol. 38, Cryopreservation and Freeze-Drying Protocols, p.81-89, Humana Press, Totowa, USA.
4.5. Toxic strains
Strains that have been reported to produce toxic substance are indicated as “toxic” in the list of strains. Users who order these strains must confirm and appreciate its implications before use of the strain, even if the user’s purpose is not relevant to the strain’s toxic characteristics.
4.6. Distribution of strains shared with TISTR
We distribute those strains shared with TISTR (Microbiological Resource Centre, Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research) for educational and research purposes only. For these strains, TISTR strain numbers are also indicated in the “Other collection strain no.” in the list of strains
4.7. Distribution of strains collected outside Japan since 1993
Distribution of some strains collected and isolated outside Japan since 1993 is now suspended pursuant to the Convention on Biological Diversity, although the strain data are available in the catalog. Please contact the staff of the NIES-Collection if you wish to request these strains.
5. Distribution to NIES researchers
Strains are available to NIES researchers without charge. Please complete two original copies “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form” and send it via in-house mail or pass it on to the staff directly. Online ordering is also available. The “Strain Ordering and Agreement Form” is also required for online orders by NIES researchers.